Sunday, April 19, 2009

My second-last weekend

It was a nice quiet weekend in Managua, which was a good change from all the traveling I've been doing as of late, but also bittersweet as I realize it is my second to last one here in Nicaragua. While I'm ready to go home in a lot of respects, it will still be hard to leave this place. I'm already thinking about when I'll be able to get back here for a week.

Friday I had my last meeting with the cooks and administrator in San Isidro. I'm going to miss that group since I've spent a lot of time working with them, my nearest neighbors. It was a good meeting too, so I feel pretty good about where things will be left when I'm gone.

Since I was up in San Isidro, I got to head home a little earlier than normal, and was also able to stop by Kelly's knitting class for a visit. They were dividing up the mounds of yarn that I brought back from the States, and they seemed excited to use it to start their new projects - booties, purses, flowers, and other crafts Kelly has taught them.

Friday night we went to an El Salvadorian restaurant for pupusas, which are tortillas stuffed with cheese, chicken, beans, and other goodies. We met our friend Jason there and had a good time hanging out until they just about kicked us out.

Saturday I made some french toast for us for breakfast (I think I have finally mastered most of our breakfast meals - pancakes, banana pancakes, french toast and gallo pinto). Then we went to an organic market just outside of town to get our groceries. They didn't have as much as we were expecting, but what we did buy there looks really good and fresh. Combining that with some other ingredients we'd purchased throughout the week - including a bottle of wine - we also had a killer dinner of BBQ chicken quesadillas with guacamole.

From there, Kelly and I had an impromptu girl's night (even though Joe was around too). First we attempted to make some premixed cookie mix I brought from the States without an oven. We pan fried some and made others in the crock pot. Neither really turned out like cookies, but it was processed goodness nonetheless. Then we made foot baths and did pedicures while sitting in our rocking chairs crocheting. It was quite the picture (we took a picture too, but I don't have it yet). I'm happy to report I learned a few new things about crocheting too. First, I found out that the knot I've been doing all along - which I thought was correct - was, in fact, my own misinterpretation/invention. I still like how it looks, so I'll call it the Knicky Knot (cheesy, I know) and keep going with it. I also learned how to crochet in circles, and I made a (sort of) hat. I'm hoping to learn how to make flowers before I go too...we shall see.

After girls night, we played some of the new games I brough from home, including Don't Break the Ice and Chutes and Ladders. We had some good laughs playing games made for ages 3 and up.

Today (Sunday) we were supposed to go on a trip to the beach with our neighborhood but it never ended up happening. Instead, Kelly and I came to a hotel where you can use the pool (and wireless internet!) for the day for a small fee. It's been a nice relaxing day of reading, emailing, swimming and tanning. I am definitely going to miss having a little piece of paradise like this within a few minutes of my house. Lake Michigan will have to work!

Since I'm doing my grand final tour of the north this week, I'm not sure how much I'll be able to write before Friday. I'll be back with a few more entries before the end, though, no worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

copy html code
Yahoo Personals Review