Friday, January 9, 2009

Estoy en Nica!

Just wanted to write a quick post that, after a long day of traveling, I made it here without much trouble yesterday afternoon. As would be expected, it's been quite the adjustment process since. I've been using my Spanish a fair bit already - some of which is coming back, and some of which will take time.

The accommodations are modest to say the least - it's a bit like camping but with a roof, some locks, some lights and a toilet (but you have to flush it with a bucket of water most of the time because water only runs for a few hours at night). There was a lizard in the bathroom when I woke up, I've already been warned to knock out my shoes in case there are any scorpions in them, and there is a horse that lives next to my room which I can hear every now and then. Suffice to say, things are a little different than life was back in Chicago and staying in Starwoods.

Time also moves more slowly here without things like TVs, Blackberries and 80 hour work weeks. That, too, will take some time for me to get used to. I'm starting up my job today and finding out more about the project I'll be working on, so I'm excited to have that to work on and pass the time.

In short, it's been an extremely interesting first day here in Nicaragua. While I'm still nervous about things, miss home often and occasionally wonder what I'm doing here, I think it's going to be good once I get settled. Stay tuned...

P.S. Please send emails - I have good internet access at work so I will be pretty responsive if you write!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

copy html code
Yahoo Personals Review