Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Nicaragua-Wisconsin Connection

As many of you know, I love Wisconsin. As many of you also know, I am currently in Nicaragua. What some of you may not know, though, is that these two places are connected more formally than just by me liking them both a lot, or by the fact that there are red Green Bay Packer hats all over the mountains here.

During the Kennedy administration, in parallel with the economic Alliance for Progress in the Western hemisphere, a people-to-people partnership was created between the United States and countries/cities in Central and South America. As I was surprised and pleased to learn early in my research of Nicaragua and Fabretto, Wisconsin and Nicaragua were paired as part of this alliance. I’ve joked several times since that it’s a fitting match based on my experiences in both places. In particular, people in both Wisco and Nica are very friendly, many of them farm, and all of them try to deep fry just about anything they can get their hands on.

The partnership between Nicaragua and Wisconsin is manifested in several ways, and I got to witness some of it in action earlier this week. A group of about 30 Wisconsinites from around the state ranging in age from high school to 80+ came to visit a school here in Nicaragua that is aptly named ‘The Wisconsin School.’ They brought books to start a library at this school, and then were continuing their tour around a handful of ‘Learning Centers’ scattered throughout Nicaragua where, every year, a group like this one would teach different skills (sewing, electric work, etc.) to the locals. I was invited to meet up with them at the Wisconsin school because the meal program at this school is supported by Fabretto (and Nica Hope), and because I am the token Wisconsinite volunteer.

It was a bit of an overwhelming experience for everyone involved because the group came in a huge van with big windows that made it look a bit like a fishbowl. Also, the Wisconsin School supports a community in Managua that lives in the dump, so the poverty in this area is very extreme. Combine that with a big bus of ‘gringos’ (white people), and I think there was quite a bit of dual culture shock as we made our rounds.

Still, I was happy to see so many people from my home state taking an interest in helping Nicaragua. Apparently the Wisconsin Chapter of the Partners of the Americas is the most active in the country, and they certainly seemed anxious to help out on this trip as well.

If all of this has inspired any of you back home in Wisconsin (or anywhere!) to get involved too, I do have one final bit of information to share from my time at the Wisconsin School. Like many other projects of Fabretto, the Wisconsin school is seeking sponsors for students that attend. Sponsorship costs $30 a month and provides one child with a uniform, school supplies, lunch, etc. There is more information here at this link, and I’m happy to also answer any questions if you are interested in donating. http://www.nicahope.org/main/?cat=3&p=9

Thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

copy html code
Yahoo Personals Review