Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Mini Vacation – León and Las Peñitas, Part 2

Sunday, after a nice breakfast in the courtyard of the hotel, I hit up mass at the Cathedral. Then I packed up, checked out, and headed for the beach. Opting to save myself the $25 the hotel wanted to charge me for transport to Las Peñitas, I instead opted for the bus. I would learn several times over why that $25 may have been a worthwhile investment.

While the beach only lies about 15 miles from León, the ride to get there ended up being over an hour because the road is all torn up on account of construction. It was unbearably hot, though there was a decent breeze on the way there. The bus was also packed, though as I learned, a bus being packed is a relative concept. On the way there, the bus seemed full but I did have my own reasonably-sized seat to myself. On the way back, however, we were in a normal school bus, and I have never seen one packed so full. We sat three to a seat on both sides (that’s right, the same seats which were full with two children in them when we rode these buses to school now had three adults plus bags). In addition to the rows of six people across, there were also two people per row in the aisle! I got a seat next to the aisle, which meant I had no breeze. I was also sandwiched between two winners. On my left, there was a girl who somehow, in spite of the zoo going on around her, was sound asleep, and kept nose diving into my back/shoulder as her head bobbed from side to side. On my right was some guy who had apparently been swimming in his jeans, so I had wet denim smushed up against me the whole time. Nice. Like I said, that $25 may have been well spent. Live and learn.

Still, even in spite of the bus ride that was like this:



With views like this the whole time:



It was still worth it for this:



And this:



And this:



Even with just a couple hours to spend at the beach, I was able to squeeze in an Oceanside cocktail, a heaping, delicious lunch of fresh shrimp (complete with heads), and a toe dip in the ocean. It was definitely a too short taste of the beach, especially for all the rigamaroll to get there, but I also like to think of it as a teaser for next weekend. A big group of us volunteers will be spending all of next weekend at one of our co-workers beach houses, and now more than ever, I am psyched to hit the waves!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

copy html code
Yahoo Personals Review