Friday, March 27, 2009

You're eating what??

Since I've gotten some complaints about my lack of blogging this week, here's one more post before the weekend.

Today was yet another one of those glorious days when I received a little slip of paper from the post office saying I got a package. Even though some of the excitement was lost because of the fact that I knew exactly what was in it (since I pried it out of my mom), that also ADDED to the excitement because I knew it was one of my favorite treats. Puppy chow!

Whenever I get things in the mail, I have made a point of sharing some of the sweets with all the people who help me get to the post office. I think this tradition is actually working in my favor, because I've been able to get there more and more easily the more cookies I give to the receptionist!

At any rate, when she told me I had a package and said she was wondering what kind of 'galletas' (cookies) would be inside, I said, "Actually, it's not cookies, it's..." and then I realized that I was about to tell her it was dog food, since I can't think of a better translation. She made a face, and I told her it wasn't really dog food, just that was the name. "Trust me, it's good."

When we got to the post office, I found my puppy chow and immediately opened it up. For better or worse, the Nicaraguan heat had melted it, so you couldn't see the powdered sugar any more and it was all stuck together. It was also coming out in sticky clumps, and generally didn't look that appetizing. I told the driver, "Since you helped me get my package, I want to share some of this with you. It's...puppy food." I'm sure that between looking at the melted goo and hearing me describe it as dog food, he was probably like "Gee thanks, I should have had someone else drive!"

Still, when he tried it he said it was very "rico" or delicious. The receptionist loved it too, though she had the same initial reaction as the driver. In fact, even when I told a few of the Americans that I got puppy chow, they had no idea what I was talking about. Must be a Wisconsin thing. Regardless of where it came from, though, it's one of my favorite inventions of all!

Thanks for sending, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

copy html code
Yahoo Personals Review