Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Nica Time

This weekend, I lost my watch. While I was swimming before breakfast on Sunday, I took it off and left it with all our stuff on the table. However, we ended up leaving the restaurant pretty abruptly because a group of about 30 Nicas invaded our quiet space, and in the shuffle, I managed to forget my little Timex.

I was pretty upset about the loss at first. I'm really reliant on having a watch in general, but it's especially important here in Nicaragua because there aren't clocks in many other places. Additionally, like many other things, watches are hard to come by here. I'll probably have to make a special trip to Mercado Oriental (the big one) just to find a replacement.

However I can't help but think that, after more than two months here in Nicaragua, it might be fitting for me to be watchless after all. I've come a long way in adjusting to the slower pace of life, or Nica time, from when I first arrived, and maybe I'm ready to make the next leap. After all, it's not like I can't figure out the time if I need to - I have my phone, my computer and my alarm clock with me about 70% of the day and can use them to figure out what time I need to wake up and when to wait outside for my ride to work. Beyond that, maybe checking my watch compulsively every 5 minutes while in line or waiting for a bus is something I could actually live without. I'm going to give it a week to see...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

copy html code
Yahoo Personals Review